Gumucio, Juan Cristóbal
Areas of practice
Juan Cristóbal heads the Competition Law practice, advising clients in merger control, contentious matters, such as cartels and unilateral conduct, non-contentious advice and compliance programs.
Throughout his career he has participated in many landmark cases that have shaped competition case law in Chile. He has also been involved assessing pro-bono different trade associations regarding amendments to Competition and Consumer Protection legislation.
Juan Cristóbal joined the firm in 1994 and was made partner in 2007. He has practiced Competition Law, Intellectual Property Law, Commercial Law and Consumer Protection.
Juan Cristóbal is also the partner responsible for coordinating the firm’s pro-bono work.
- Oxford University, Magister Juris (MJur), 1998.
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Law School, 1994
- Admitted to the Chilean Bar in 1994
- Chile, 1994.
- Lecturer of Intellectual Property Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile.
- Lecturer of Competition Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile.
- Lecturer of Competition Law, Universidad de Los Andes.
- He has also taught undergraduate and graduate courses at the Universidad Católica de Chile, Adolfo Ibañez and Finis Terrae.
- He has participated as a panelist in numerous conferences in Chile and abroad.
Awards and Honors
- Featured lawyer in Band 1 in Competition Law, Chambers Latin America (2019). Clients indicate: “He is very intelligent and knows the area very well. He is very business oriented”
- Leading Individual, The Legal 500 Latin America (2019)
- Leading lawyer in Competition Law, Global Competition Review (2019)
- Featured lawyer in Competition Law, Who’s Who Legal.
- Recognized Lawyer in Competition Law, Latin Lawyer (2019)
- Best Lawyer of the year in Competition Law (2017), Best Lawyers.
- Chevening Scholarship, British Council (1997).
- Fernando Fueyo Laneri Foundation Award, 1994.
- Juan Cristobal Gumucio, Elías Astudillo and Tomás Labbé, “¿Se justifica la consulta ante el TDLC”, Investigaciones CeCo (February, 2020). https://www.centrocompetencia.com/investigaciones
- Lexology Navigator – Merger Control, 2017.
- SENTENCIAS DESTACADAS 2015, Una Mirada desde la Perspectiva de Las Políticas Públicas, “Doctrina de la Corte Suprema en la Colusión de los Pollos”. Juan Cristóbal Gumucio Sch. & Elías Astudillo R. Ediciones LyD 2016.
- “Competition Law in Latin America”. Chapter 13: Competition Law in Chile. Walters Kluwer Law International B.V., 2016.
- “Nuevas Tendencias del Moderno Derecho Económico”. Chapter III: “Control de Fusiones en Chile ¿Requiere de un cambio?” Legal Publishing Chile, Thompson Reuters, 2014.
- “La Libre Competencia en el Chile del Bicentenario”. Interrelación Propiedad Intelectual, Competencia Desleal, Protección al Consumidor y Libre Competencia. Tribunal de Defensa de la Libre Competencia / Centro de Libre Competencia UC. Published by Thomson Reuters Puntolex, 2011.
- “Concentración Económica y su Control Previo”, in Revista Derecho Mayor, Year VII, Number 7, April 2008.
- International Law Office. Editor of the Chilean chapter of the Competition Newsletter during 2000 and early 2001.
- “Mergers & Acquisitions. Law Business Research. Year 2000. Co-author of chapter 8 of this publication.
- “Procreación Asistida. Un Análisis a la Luz de la Legislación Chilena”. Awarded by the Fernando Fueyo Laneri Foundation. Published by Editorial Jurídica Conosur, February 1997.
- “Procreación Asistida Heteróloga. Efectos civiles con respecto al matrimonio y la filiación”. Volume 21, N° 2, May – August 1994. Revista Chilena de Derecho
- International Bar Association. Cartels Working Group.
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Section.
- International Competition Network, NGA, Mergers Working Group.
- Member of the Advisory Board, Centro de Libre Competencia UC.
- Member of the Board, National Association of Advertisers (ANDA).
- Chilean Bar Association
- Spanish and English.