Gonzalo is a partner of our firm since 1997. He is the head of the Regulatory Law Department, which includes the environment, energy, regulated public services and administrative law areas. He advises national and foreign companies on infrastructure projects, including the legal aspects of environmental impact studies, concessions, permits and other administrative authorizations, construction contracts and PPAs, litigation originating in contractual relations over energy and/or fuel supply, resolution of conflict in administrative, judicial or arbitral proceedings related to regulated public services, energy and the environment, among other matters
- Legal advice to various local electricity-consuming companies in tender processes and subsequent contracting of electrical power supply from power companies;
- Legal advice on electrical and environmental regulation in the development of greenfield projects for conventional energy generation and non-conventional renewable energy plants;
- Due diligence and the subsequent purchase of greenfield and brownfield power generation projects, including thermoelectric, hydraulic, solar and wind power plants, geothermal concessions and small means of power generation;
- Providing defense for wind power companies before the Panel of Experts of the General Electrical Services Law, in relation to ownership discrepancies in transmission expansion works;
- Negotiation of electricity transmission contracts;
- Legal assistance in negotiation processes for the connection of power generation assets to the electricity system;
- Providing support for various power companies in energy and power tender processes called by power distribution companies;
- Negotiation of joint ventures and joint development agreements for projects for electrical power generation;
- Advice on the legal aspects of the environmental impact assessment of productive projects, including the submittal of administrative appeals before the Environmental Courts;
- Providing defense for local companies in sanction proceedings initiated by the Superintendence of the Environment (SMA), the Superintendence of Electricity and Fuels (SEC), and the Health Authority;
- Legal advice for clients on the asset purchasing processes called by sanitation companies;
- Negotiation of gas supply contracts.
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Diploma in Economic Administrative Law, majoring in public services and regulation, 2006.
- Harvard University, Master of Laws, 2001.
- Law Degree, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Law School, 1996.
- Chile, 1996.
Awards and Honors
- Law Degree completed with the highest honors, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, 1995.
- Luis Gutiérrez Alliende Award for graduating with the best grades in his class in Business Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, 1994.
- Monseñor Carlos Casanueva Award for graduating with the best grades in his class, and for his collaboration in activities at the Law School, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, 1994.
- Presidente de la República Scholarship for postgraduate studies abroad, 2000.
- Outstanding lawyer in Energy and Natural Resources, Chambers Latin America.
- Recognized lawyer in Energy and Infrastructure, IFLR 1000.
- Environmental Risks for Major Projects, European Lawyer Reference, 2012.
- Major Projects: Environmental Risks Global Guide, 2nd Edition, Practical Law, Thomson Reuters, 2017.
- Chilean Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Spanish and English.